Customising Windows 7 logon screen.
Ever wonder what to do with the tons of pictures taken of your daughters other than setting them as wallpapers? =)
With Windows 7 you can set custom images as your logon background. Now you have the option to have your daughters greet you every time you login to your machine! =)
Replace the old boring logon screen...
With a refreshing one of your own choosing =)
For the not so technically inclined, graphical instructions are available at my journal.
Else, here’s a really quick 10minutes run through.
- start the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) using your favourite method.
- go to the following branch: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
- set “Always use custom logon background” to enabled.
- select the image you want to use as your background. it must be of the same dimensions as your primary monitor’s desktop resolution. the filesize must be less than 256kb, must be of jpg format, and must be saved as “backgroundDefault.jpg”. take note of the case!
- browse to “c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds”. if the directories are not available, create them.
- paste the image we have selected in step 4 into the directory in step 5.
Enjoy your new logon screen =)