Otakon 2012 has come and gone - my third anime convention. This time I went for all three days and wanted to share the experience with everyone here.
I arrived early Friday morning and left Sunday afternoon. While Otakon 2012 had a different flavor to it with the latest anime hits being shown and cosplayed, it was just as fun as last year. Some of the things I ended up seeing/going to:
1) Dealer Room – Didn’t buy a lot again this year. I still have figure pre-orders to tie me over so I somehow controlled myself. That is, I controlled myself until I found the doujinshi booth in the middle of the room – my poor wallet.
2) Artist Alley – Last year I told myself I should try participating in something at Otakon, so I made that happen. For 2012, I decided to participate in the art show and enter two of my latest illustrations. I submitted them for quick sale just to see what would happen, but interestingly enough, both were assigned as auction items when I checked later. It was still all an experiment for me as I had never tried anything like this before, but it resulted in one of my submissions being auctioned off which was a surprise for me. Thank you to whoever was the winning bidder!
3) Mythbusters Anime Edition Season 2 panel – I had no idea what this panel was, but I sure am glad I attended. I hope someone recorded it because not only was it insightful and well thought; it was absolutely hilarious in presentation. Two student physics buffs, break down the nitty-gritty of some of the most impossible scenes in anime using hardcore physics and math to either bust or confirm the plausibility of certain scenes in well known anime titles. Thanks to this panel, I now come away knowing that Saeko Busujima’s breasts can break the sound barrier to dodge bullets, and that Misaka the Railgun is generating enough power that could end power issues for the whole world.
4) Stein’s;Gate English Dub premiere – This was a highlight of Otakon for me. I think the dub work managed to exceed the original Japanese voice work. The dialogue flowed naturally in English between characters that I really forgot it was a dub if that makes sense. I had my doubts, but all fears were put aside. I love the dub work. Michael Tatum did a amazing job not only voicing Okabe, but he managed to weave in pop-cultural references and in-jokes that the audience really understood. I think this is the first time I’m buying an anime for its’ dub. I don’t think that’s ever happened before unless it was Cowboy Bebop.
5) MangaGamer panel – While they were going over their new and upcoming releases such as EROGE! and Harukoi Otome, I could feel myself slipping away. To be honest, I was on auto-pilot at this point of Otakon day 1. I had gotten up at 4AM and now it was 1-something AM the next day. I will say that I do want to get ef the first tale, but I still have to play Kira Kira. I also want Dear Drops after having tried the demo.
6) Random but well coordinated dancing at the lobby during late night. This never seems to change.
7) Tons of cosplayers. I managed to take more pictures this year thanks to going all three days!
8) Yuuka Nanri autograph session – I’ve never attended an autograph session so this was another first for me. Yuuka was very nice and I could definitely hear Henrietta from Gunslinger Girls in her voice.
9) Aya Hirano concert – All good things come in threes. This was my third “first” for Otakon as I also never attended any concerts due to time constraints or due to me just not knowing of the performer. When I had entered the hall it was already packed. I could literally feel the music vibrating the surrounding air. The crowd went crazy when Aya sung “God Knows” along with other Haruhi favorite songs. The people still love her!
10) And lastly, “I got some ice cold wa-ter! And it’s only one doll-ar!” Yes. He is the meme for Otakon attendees. I even saw fanart of him of in the Art Show!
Can’t wait for Otakon 2013.
Now for pictures! LOTS of pictures!
Found Tifa before going to the pre-registration line.
Jade makes a pose.
Gorden Freeman - the one free man!
Beauty and the Beast in the gaming room.
Clover Club Miku!
Riku and loli Riku
Yaya Han as Chun Li
Yamada and Popura
Mass Effect femshepard and Tali
Street Fighter 4!
Panty and Stocking
Bunny girl Avengers
Pedo bear emerges from the darkness!
Sailormoon shopping on the job
Fallout - he had a really cool Pipboy
Holo the Wise Wolf
Yoko in the dealer room
Mortal Kombat right in the middle of the dealer room
Zero Suit Samus with Pikachu
Momohime out in the sun
Lightning x 2
In the gaming room
Haruhi and Chi getting freaky with Stormtrooper pimp.
Ed and Al
Yuna, Stocking, Riku
Panoramic of the inner harbor
Outside of the Baltimore Convention Center
Kyubey watches as you shop in the dealer room
It is the will of Stein's;Gate!
Baltimore at night
Baltimore Convention Center at night
I had Yuuka Nanri sign my GSG blu-ray :)
My submissions to the art show. The one on the left found it's way into the auction.